The History of Disabilites

 It makes me sad to think about how individuals with disabilities were treated in the 20thcentury. America has made significant improvements over the years but my main take away from the presentation today was that there are still improvements to be made. As professionals in the health field we need to continue advocating and educating those in our communities. 
During Era Presentations, we saw just a snap shot of the progress that has been made for individuals with disabilities like the rehabilitation movement. Throughout the presentation from today’s session we got a deeper understanding of what individuals with disabilities went through. They were dehumanized and isolated from society. Having the background from era presentations and events that went on during different times gave me a better understanding today when looking at the timeline for the history of disabilities. 
As an OT practioner I will see individuals beyond their disabilities. I will do so by understanding that they have hopes, dreams and visions just as any individual. Seeing individuals for who they are will allow me to connect with them on a more personal level and allow me to give the best care. I will remain positive, hopeful, and encouraging. I will not give false hope or assumptions about the future because of what I learned today. Improvements are being made and we do not know what the future holds. Throughout my life I will continue to advocate for equality among individuals with disabilities. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1950’s-Today

Locus of Control

Growing Independence - Media Project