Can Occupational Therapy Help with ADHD?

I chose to listen to the podcast “Can Occupational Therapy Help with ADHD?”. I chose this podcast because of my interest in ADHD. My 7-year-old brother was diagnosed with ADHD back in December and my mom really struggled with what to do next. The doctor suggested medication, but she was hesitant just because of his age and the unknown of his reaction and the side effects. She didn’t want him to be labeled as the trouble maker, or the kid who can’t keep his hands to himself or can’t listen. Occupational Therapy is something I did mention to her but I am going to have her listen to this podcast and hope it gives her more insight like it did for me. 
I enjoyed listening to Dr. Landcaster talk about the “just right challenge” and what that can look like for children with ADHD. What I learned is it’s all about finding what works best for the child on an individual level. She described the brain as a car engine. She would as, “Is the engine in neutral or really low where it can’t go anywhere, or is it revved up and going too fast where it also can’t go anywhere?”. Finding strategies to get their brain or car engine back in the middle where it can function just right is the goal. Finding these strategies and what works could be done through an Occupational Therapy evaluation. Minor changes in the environment or routine could be just what a child needs to increase performance through daily life. Changes could impact mental health and even increase school performance. It’s important when you recognize these behaviors to seek out help. Its most effective when you come together as a team (parent, teacher, OT) to implement the strategies or minor changes the child needs. Overall, this podcast was really beneficial and I can’t wait to share it with others. 


Comments

  1. I'm so glad you found value in listening to this podcast, Bailey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1950’s-Today

Locus of Control

Growing Independence - Media Project