Dementia - Neuro Note #3

Ted Talk: How my Dad’s Dementia Changed My Idea of Death (and Life) – Beth Malone 

For my third neuro note I listened to a TED talk on the topic of dementia. I chose to listen to this because of the history my family has with dementia. I thought it would be good to hear another person’s point of view and interpretation of this disease. In this TED talk, Beth gives insight on how she’s coping with her father’s dementia. Beth explains that she doesn’t understand why or how her father would think this life was worth living. She assumes death would be much better for her dad.  She talks about how her and her family talk about his death a lot but she wishes they would have talked about it more when they were all healthy. She even asks “what does my best death look like?” 

I can’t imagine the pain she is going through. I think everyone’s biggest fear is losing a loved one and although her dad was physically here, she felt like his condition was enabling him to live a productive life, therefore it wasn’t worth living. She would rather him be free. I can only pray I never have to go through that. One thing I took away from Beth’s talk was the idea of death and what does your best death look like. This reminded me a lot of Dr. Sasse’s doctoral dissertation this past spring. Occupational Therapist have a significant role in end of life care. Finding meaningful and engaging occupations for clients to participate in even at the end of life can help them connect to their meaning and purpose in life. I believe it would also help them cope with feelings of hopelessness or uselessness. Another take away I had was empathizing with family members. After putting myself in Beth’s shoes I was able to feel what she was feeling. I believe it’s important as occupational therapist to not only be there for our client but for their family as well. Especially in situations where family members are directly impacted. Putting our self in their shoes gives us a new perspective and allows us to show greater empathy. 

I recommend this TED talk to anyone who is wants an insight on what it’s like with a family member who has dementia.  Beth was open and truthful about how her father’s dementia impacted her view on life and death.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1950’s-Today

Locus of Control

Growing Independence - Media Project